I have been meaning to have another go at another Wood spirit for a while now and seeing as the Ash staff drying was about ready, I set to it.
I have always found drawing hands and faces really difficult, and find carving them is tricky too!. The Ash is from a clearing job I did about a year an a half ago and is very straight, as soon as I saw it I knew it would make a sturdy staff, I left the bark on the staff as I like the just coppiced look it brings to the staff, very rustic!, with its few marks and a chainsaw scar on the back, makes it very rustic indeed.
I have another piece that I kept which will make another nice staff, I am thinking of making one more seeing as this one turned out ok.
This ones not quite finished yet, I have waxed it with bees wax and I'm thinking of adding some cordage for a wrist strap and also thought about a button compass sunk into the top of the staff, I'll get some more pics when its done.